I could have sworn that I had a solution for this.  But on occasion
(especially dealing with Websphere and other 3rd party products) I find
myself needing to add authority to a whole load of folders and their
subfolders and the objects within.

This is (relatively) easy with QShell. For simple changes, you can use "chmod" or "chown". For more complex work, you'll need to use "find" or write the list of objects to a file, and process that file from CL.

For example, to give the public read access to everything in the /usr directory and all of it's subdirectories, do the following:

STRQSH CMD('chmod -R o+r /usr')

To make "quser" the owner of everything in the /var directory, type:

STRQSH CMD('chown -R quser /var')

If you need to do something more complex (like assign an authorization list) please tell me, and I'll post an appropriate CL program.

Anyway to do this with minimal effort - ie: 1 command entry. I've gone back through my notes, checked midrange.com, and looked through TAATOOLS and can't find anything. I could have sworn I did it a while back ago but maybe I just dreamt it -

I'm pretty sure that this was discussed on Midrange.com at least once before.

you know a solution to the wonderful type of innovation that Mr. Balmer refers to.......sometimes I think someone's innovation is someone else's support nightmare......... :-)

The ability to mass-change permissions isn't an "innovation." It's certainly not new or particularly original.