Rob, I don't mean to argue here, but I want to make a point.  Folks, up
until recently, the IBM midrange was a fairly closed box.  That was
fine; we really didn't need anybody else.  However, over the last decade
or so, IBM has made incredible strides to open the machine.  To that
end, you have literally dozens of ways to access the outside world.

And none of them are in base RPG.

Because RPG doesn't need them.

RPG is designed first and foremost to be the way that you access DB2/400
data as quickly and as efficiently as possible.  If you need to access
data on another machine, you have a number of ways to do it, but it
probably won't be in RPG.

The primary reason for this is NOT because of IBM: it's because most
non-IBM databases don't support open standards like DRDA and instead
require vendor-written, platform-specific interfaces, and none of them
write interfaces for the iSeries.

However, there is a way around this... it's called Java.  Yes indeed,
Java can access SQL (and a number of other databases besides!).  And
it's on your iSeries today!  And once you learn enough Java to access a
remote database, you'll find that you can also use it to do other
things, like send mail or create PDF documents and access web services
and hosts of other things.

When IBM saw what Java was doing for the IT community, they were quick
to realize that by leveraging Java and writing a damned good JVM that
they would also enable the iSeries to access the great wealth of
multi-platform code that was being written.  And once you learn Java,
the only thing you CANNOT access is a vendor who maliciously works to
thwart Java access.  And even Bill Gates can't do that... SQL Server
finally released a Type 4 JDBC driver that allows ANY machine with a JVM
to access SQL data.

So, the upshot of this whole missive?  To write the world's best
business logic using the world's best database, it's RPG on the iSeries
using native DB2/400 access.  But to access the outside world, it's time
you learned enough Java to call an API, or whip through a JDBC call.
And I guarantee you, it's not that much.  I can normally teach an RPG
programmer to be Java capable in a couple of days, and Java capable is
all you need to be to take advantage of the great world of Java stuff.

Joe