Understood on point 1... but my goal at this point is to get them even at
the levels currently being used.  The 800 machine being upgraded is a
production server and the corresponding test server is at the levels I
stated... i'll bring them to the most current level at a later date
(starting with the test server).  This box got left behind at V5R2 when the
other 2 went to V5R3 because of an app that was toast at V5R3.

On point 2 i'm trying to verify for sure that the cume and groups I ordered
from the 520 will be suitable for use on the 800.  They were ordered via
SNDPTFORD using the ORDER(*REQUIRED) parameter.

Can't remember where (or if) I may have read something about a fairly
recent change where packages would include only relevant PTFs...

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             05/31/2005 04:18                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Specifics of Cume/Group PTF
             Please respond to         Packages
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I - What you have is outdated.  The first clue is the 4 in front of the
SF99530.  That's from 2004.  The cume is at 5102.  The last 3 digits are a
Julian day.
SF99529 is at level 50
SF99503 is at level 4.
http://www-912.ibm.com/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/a18db68aae4a7d81862566ba005d145c/19709e6bb455ea7a86256ead001605a2?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,sf98530

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/GroupPTFs?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=1#1

I think the small delay in getting more current media, is worth it, when
you consider the downtime involved in getting these all loaded on the 800.

II - I'm not sure how you ordered this.  For example, there is a way to
order ptf's from Fix Central.  There is an option on there to "For FTP
Download or CD-ROM media, include requisite PTFs so they can be applied to
multiple systems".  If you do this then you should be fine.  How would IBM
know if the multiple systems are iSeries, or i5's?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/31/2005 02:53 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Specifics of Cume/Group PTF Packages

Question:

If I have a set of cume and group PTF install media that I ordered and
used
to update 2 Model 520s at V5R3, can I use the same discs to update a Model
800 at V5R3?

It seems I remember something recently about PTF groups being customized
a particular server's LICPGMs when ordered... not sure about this.

The levels i'm working with are:
SF99530                4272
SF99529                  34
SF99503                   3
SF99285                   4
SF99269                   2
SF99185                   2
SF99139                   1
SF99099                   2

My goal is to get the 800 (once upgraded to V5R3) to match the 520s as
closely as possible.  (will get them to the most recent cume level at a
later date...)

Any input on the main question is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chad Burrall

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com