From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 05/26/05 21:25:55
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Help me Justify iSeries

My boss has the impression that running on the iSeries/AS400 is more
costly than a Wintel platform with something like Oracle or SQL Server.

I'm a staunch supporter of the iSeries, however, my boss who came from a
Microsoft environment seems to think its so much more expensive to stay on
the iSeries due to hardware and software costs. How can I convince him
that this where our business needs to be? Or, has the time come to give up
the fight?

BTW: the scale-tipping factor was the high cost of a backup machine for
D-R purposes. We're looking at about $20K to buy a new low-end 520 with
V5R3 and enough DASD to put in another location as a hot-site. The
production machine is an Enterprise Class 520 that we purchased in Sept of
last year. The total cost including all of our software licenses was
around $200K.  I hate to say it, but I think he may be right. I agree that
iSeries is a stable and secure platfor that is highly capable of running
our business, but unfortunately, they're only looking at the bottom line.

Thanks,

Ron Adams