What did the System tell you under the Prepare for Install, Est Storage
Requuirements? I have found that number handles the core upgrade but does
not predict the space needed for PTFs. I generally DOUBLE the estimate
from system.

4gb could be a reasonable gain... I've done several small systems and
added and easy 2 to 3gb.

_____________________
Kirk Goins CCNA
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified iSeries Solutions Expert
IBM Certified iSeries e-Business Infrastructure
IBM Certified Designing IBM e-business Solutions
Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.manageinc.com

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
05/24/2005 10:27 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
V4R5M0 Upgrade to V5R2M0 uses 4GB

I upgraded a V4R5M0 Model 170 with 12GB of DASD over the weekend and was
surprised to go from 54% to 89% disk utilization.  Can that be correct?

I also had a problem where I watched the % system ASP continue to climb
until I did an ENDSBS *ALL at which point the % dropped back to about
92%.  After applying the latest group PTF's I couldn't IPL due to lack
of space (at least that is the error that displayed).  I re-IPL'd once
again and managed to end all the subsystems before the ASP utilization
reached 98% and then it dropped back to about 92% again.

I selectively started just a few subsystems/jobs and I am limping along
OK now.  So here are my questions:

1.   Is the use of an additional 4GB of DASD normal for a V4R5M0 to
V5R2M0 upgrade?
2.   If not, is there a specific place I should look for temporary
objects I can jettison?
3.   How would you go about looking for the "runaway" job (at least I am
assuming that the slow increase in %ASP use was due to a runaway job...).

It is a slightly old CUME (C4244520) (just ordered the latest) but I
have a  model 800 at the same level and didn't experience the increasing
% ASP utilization problem.

Ideas?

Pete Helgren