Frankly I think it was a good service to publish this so that I may fix my
code.  And, yes, users who are supposed to ftp files from/to our 400
should have ftp access.  It isn't that hard to write a program to lock
this down.  But with "heads up" notifications from people like this, you
can fix it before someone exploits your mistake.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Ingvaldson, Scott" <SIngvaldson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05/16/2005 04:21 PM
Please respond to

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: iSeries FTP security

I'll certainly agree that many, if not most, shops do not pay enough
attention to security.  What I disagree with is that this particular
"exploit" is as serious as is implied, based on the requirement of a
valid, authenticated user to perform it.  That's like saying that
leaving your QSECOFR password set to default and having a direct
internet connection is a "serious vulnerability."

Mr. Carmel, who's bio states the he wrote his first BASIC program in
1978 and received his first offer to commit a cyber crime in 1994 (but
apparently hasn't done much since then,) seems merely to be trying to
sell his $39 Ebook by exploiting  misunderstanding of iSeries security.
He admitted here last month
http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200504/msg01339.html that he does
"not even have an iSeries server."  Most of the "exploits" he exposes
follow this same vein, for instance one that exposes weaknesses in
"terminal emulation clients," again by "valid, authenticated users."
Mr. Carmel's only valid argument seems to be that some services should
not be turned on by default.

I suspect that in most of our shops that any "valid, authenticated user"
can log onto the system any way they see fit and get access to any "of
the files that he has authority to access, based on the server assigned
object authority."  Is this really an exploit?

Certainly, Rob, a sufficiently knowledgeable and talented user could use
FTP to go after
/qsys.lib/mylib.lib/myfile.file/mymbr.mbr/../../payroll.file/payroll.mbr
and download the payroll file, but should this user have FTP access to
this system at all?  Is this really an "exploit" or, to coin a phrase
"Working As Designed?"  How difficult is it to write an Exit Point
Program to restrict all FTP access to authorized FTP users only?

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group