here is what i found (V5R2 ibm infocenter) but the API was introduced
before.(API Introduced: V2R3 )
hope this help

Query 5250 (QsnQry5250) API

        Required Parameter Group:

            1 Receiver variable Output Char(*)
            2 Length of receiver variable Input Binary(4)

        Omissible Parameter:

            3 Error Code I/O Char(*)

        Returned Value:

           Return code Output Binary(4)

        Default Public Authority: *USE

        Service Program: QSNAPI

        Threadsafe: No

The Query 5250 (QsnQry5250) API is used to retrieve the results of the Query
5250 command for the current device. The Query 5250 command returns device
and controller attributes for the current device, such as whether wide mode
and graphical user interface (GUI) are supported.

Authorities and Locks
None

Restrictions
This command is not supported by all control units. A query status of 3
indicates if the query failed.

Required Parameter Group
  Receiver variable
  OUTPUT; CHAR(*)
  The receiver variable that is to receive the result of the query. You can
specify that the size of the area be smaller than the format requested as
long as you specify the length of the receiver variable parameter correctly.
As a result, the API returns only the data the area can hold. The format of
the data returned is shown in Format of the Query Data.

  Length of receiver variable
  INPUT; BINARY(4)
  The length of the receiver variable. If the length is larger than the size
of the receiver variable, the results are unpredictable. The minimum length
is 8 bytes.

  The API returns as much information as it can fit in this length. If the
available information is longer, it is truncated. If the available
information is shorter, the unused output is unchanged; whatever is already
stored in that space remains there. To determine how much information the
API actually returns in response to this call, see the bytes returned field.
To determine how much information the API could return if space were
available, see the bytes available field.

Omissible Parameter
  Error code
  I/O; CHAR(*)
  The structure in which to return error information. For the format of the
structure, see Error Code Parameter. If this parameter is omitted,
diagnostic and escape messages are issued to the application.

Returned Value
  Return code
  OUTPUT; BINARY(4)
  A return code indicating the result of the operation. The value returned
will be 0 if the operation was successful, or -1 otherwise.

Format of the Query Data
      Offset Type Field
      Dec Hex
      0 0 BINARY(4) Bytes returned
      4 4 BINARY(4) Bytes available
      8 8 CHAR(1) Query status
      9 9 BINARY(2) Work station control unit
      11 B CHAR(3) Code Level
      14 E CHAR(16) Reserved
      30 1E CHAR(1) Work station type code
      31 1F CHAR(4) Machine type code
      35 23 CHAR(3) Model number
      38 26 CHAR(1) Keyboard ID
      39 27 CHAR(1) Extended keyboard ID
      40 28 CHAR(1) PC keyboard ID
      41 29 CHAR(4) Serial number
      45 2D BINARY(2) Maximum input fields
      47 2F CHAR(2) Control unit customization
      48 30 CHAR(1) Reserved
      50 32 CHAR(12) Device capabilities
      62 3E CHAR(1) Grid buffers
      63 3F CHAR(1) Type of grid line support
      64 40 CHAR(1) Reserved
      65 41 CHAR(1) Images or faxes
      66 42 CHAR(1) Image or fax scaling granularity
      67 43 CHAR(1) Image or fax rotating granularity
      68 44 CHAR(1) Image or fax support
      69 45 CHAR(1) Invisible tags
      70 46 CHAR(2) Reserved

Field Descriptions
Further details on the fields listed can be found in the 5494 Remote Control
Unit Functions Reference, SC30-3533, manual.

Bytes available. The number of bytes of data available to be returned. All
available data is returned if enough space is provided.

Bytes returned. The number of bytes of data returned.

Code Level. Identifies the code release level.

Control unit customization. Indicates customization parameters for the
control unit as:

Byte 0

  a.. Bit 0: Indicates that the iSeries server can send a 5250 WSC
Customization command when set on
  b.. Bit 1: Indicates that the iSeries server can send a 5250 Query Station
State command when set on
  c.. Bit 2: Indicates that the iSeries server can send a 5250 Workstation
Customization command to select the SBA code returned in READ commands for
displays with ideographic extended attributes when set on.
  d.. Bit 3: Indicates that the 5250 Workstation Customization command may
be either 6 bytes or greater than 8 bytes in length when set on.
  e.. Bits 4-7: Reserved
Byte 1: Reserved

Device capabilities. Defines the operating capabilities of the designated
device as:

Byte 0

  a.. Bits 0-1: Indicate Row 1/Column 1 support as:

        B'00' No support
        B'01' limited support

  b.. Bit 2: Indicates the Read MDT Alternate command is supported when set
on
  c.. Bit 3: Indicates the work station and control unit have PA1 and PA2
support when set on
  d.. Bit 4: Indicates the work station and control unit have PA3 support
when set on
  e.. Bit 5: Indicates the work station and control unit have cursor select
support when set on
  f.. Bit 6: Indicates the work station and control unit have move cursor
order support when set on
  g.. Bit 7: Indicates the Read Modified Immediate Alternate command is
supported when set on
Byte 1--display screen capabilities

  a.. Bits 0-3: Define screen size as:

        B'0001' 24 x 80
        B'0011' 24 x 80 or 27 x 132

  b.. Bit 4: Indicates selector light pen (SLP) is supported when set on
  c.. Bit 5: Indicates magnetic stripe reader (MSR) is supported when set on
  d.. Bits 6-7: Define color support as:

        B'00' Monochrome display
        B'01' Color support

Byte 2

  a.. Bit 0: Indicates Text Symbols support when set on
  b.. Bit 1: Indicates work station and control unit have extended primary
attribute
  c.. Bits 2-4: Indicate Office Editor/Text support as:

        B'000' No Office Editor/Text support
        B'001' single language Office Editor/Text support
        B'010' dual language Office Editor/Text support

  d.. Bit 5: Indicates work station and control unit have extended primary
attribute support in data processing (DP) mode (WEA order) when set on
  e.. Bits 6-7: Indicates extended foreground color attribute support

        B'01' Available in DP mode. Fourteen colors are defined, but only
seven are available. The other seven colors are mapped into the available
colors.
        B'10' Available in DP mode. Fourteen colors are supported.

Byte 3

  a.. Bits 0-2: Indicate ideographic capability as:

        B'000' No ideographic capability
        B'001' Ideographic capability for presentation screen only
        B'010' Ideographic data type and presentation screen ideographic
capability

  b.. Bits 3-5: Indicate bidirectional support as:

        B'000' No bidirectional capability
        B'001' Bidirectional capability

  c.. Bit 6: Ideographic
  d.. Bit 7: Indicates CCSID-based I/O is supported when set on.
Byte 4

  a.. Bits 0-2: Indicate graphics capability as:

        B'000' No graphics capability
        B'001' 5292-style graphics
        B'010' GDDM(R)-OS/2(R) Link Graphics

  b.. Bit 3: Indicates extended 3270 data stream capability when set on
  c.. Bit 4: Indicates a pointer device is available when set on
  d.. Bit 5: Indicates that GUI-like characters are available when set on
  e.. Bit 6: Indicates the control unit supports enhanced user interface
commands and field control words (FCWs) when set on.
  The commands include:

    Create Window

    Unrestricted Cursor Movement

    Remove GUI Window

    Remove All GUI Constructs

    Read Screen To Print

    Read Screen To Print With Extended Attributes

    Write Error Code To Window

    Save Partial Screen

    Restore Partial Screen

    Define Selection Field

    Remove GUI Selection Field

    Define Scroll Bar

    Remove GUI Scroll Bar

  The FCWs include:

    Continued

    Cursor Progression

    Highlighted

    Pointer Device Selection

  f.. Bit 7: Indicates Write Error Code To Window command is supported when
set on
Byte 5

  a.. Bit 0: Indicates the Write Data and Programmable Mouse Buttons
structured field commands, the Word Wrap FCW, and Ideographic Continued
entry fields are supported when set on
  b.. Bit 1: Indicates this is a GUI device which will use
all-points-addressable constructs for windows, selection fields, and scroll
bars, when set on
  c.. Bits 2-7: Reserved
Byte 6: Reserved

Bytes 7-8:

  a.. Bit 0-13: Reserved
  b.. Bit 14-15: 5250 fax or image support

        B'00' No 5250 image or fax support
        B'01' Support for seven formats:

          a.. TIFF
            a.. No compression
            b.. CCITT Group 3 fax one-dimensional, modified-Huffman
run-length encoding
            c.. CCITT Group 3 fax compression
            d.. CCITT Group 4 fax compression
            e.. PackBits run-length encoding
          b.. PCX monochrome format
          c.. Stand-alone CCITT Group 3 fax compression

        B'11' Support for the seven previous formats, plus five additional
formats:

          a.. IOCA
            a.. IBM MMR algorithm
            b.. No compression
            c.. CCITT Group 3 fax one-dimensional, modified-Huffman
run-length encoding
            d.. CCITT Group 3 fax compression
            e.. CCITT Group 4 fax compression

Byte 9: Reserved for use by PC emulators to indicate additional 5250 image
or fax formats supported

Byte 10:

  a.. Bit 0: Indicates printer type as:

        B'0' SCS printer
        B'1' IPDS printer

  b.. Bits 1-7: Reserved
Byte 11: Reserved

Extended keyboard ID. The device code for extended 5250 keyboards.

Grid buffers. The number of grid buffers that are available in the device.

      X'00' Not grid-capable.

Images or faxes. The number of images or faxes that can be presented on a
display screen.

      X'00' No 5250 image or fax support
      X'01-FE' Number allowed
      X'FF' Variable, dependent on the size of the image or fax

Image or fax scaling granularity.

      X'00' No 5250 image or fax support
      X'01' Support for scaling percentages from 3% to 400%. No scroll-bar
scaling, fill scaling, no change scaling, increment and decrement
      X'02-7E' Reserved
      X'7F' Support for continuous scaling
      X'80-FF' Reserved for use by 5250 PWS emulators

Image or fax rotating granularity.

      X'00' No 5250 image or fax support
      X'01' Support for rotating of 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees
      X'02-7E' Reserved
      X'7F' Support for continuous rotation
      X'80-FF' Reserved for use by 5250 PWS emulators

Image or fax support.

      X'00' No 5250 image or fax support B'0' Pop-up and pull-down windows
that were written after image or fax are presented over image or fax data
when set on
            B'1' This device supports transparent mode.
            B'2-7' Reserved

Invisible tags. Defines more device capabilities of the designated device
as:

  a.. Bits 0-5: Reserved
  b.. Bit 6: EBCDIC-to-ASCII translation. This is used by workstation
gateway devices.
  c.. Bit 7: True transparency.
Keyboard ID. Reserved. This field is set to X'00'.

Machine type code. An EBCDIC code for the machine type.

Maximum input fields. The maximum number of input fields available (256).

Model number. An EBCDIC code for the machine model number.

PC keyboard ID. Device code for PC keyboards attached to a 5250 work station
(X'00' for nonprogrammable work stations).

Query status. The status of the 5250 query data. The possible values are:

      DSM_5250Q_YES (1) Query information successfully retrieved.
      DSM_5250Q_NO (2) Query cannot be issued for the device. This occurs
when the device configuration specifies that the query command should not be
issued against the device.
      DSM_5250Q_FAIL (3) Query command failed. Default values are supplied
based on the device type. This occurs, for example, when the controller does
not support the query command.

Reserved. An ignored field.

Serial number. Field for device serial number. This field is set to zero for
a work station with no serial number.

Type of grid line support.

      X'00' No grid line support
      X'01' Type 1 grid line support including support for grid line
commands

Work station control unit. The type of control unit.

Work station type code. The workstation type. The value is X'01' for display
station.

Error Messages
      Message ID Error Message Text
      CPF24B4 E Severe error while addressing parameter list.
      CPF3C24 E Length of the receiver variable is not valid.
      CPF3CF1 E Error code parameter not valid.
      CPF3CF2 E Error(s) occurred during running of &1 API.
      CPFA31E E Required parameter &1 omitted.

----
API Introduced: V2R3