Steve,

There's certainly some good discussions on slashdot.  But I don't think I'd
classify it as a _good_ source of info.  Useful? Yes, but a _good_ source IMHO
would be one with more wheat than chafe...I don't know that slashdot usually
passes that test.

I'm sure the FAA regulates the software directly related to flight safety, such
as control towers radars ect.  I don't know that the FAA regulates all software
in use by an airline.  I doubt that is even possible, and even it was possible
I'm sure it's not cost effective.  Do you have a source for this?

Even if the FAA certified the Crew Scheduling app we are discussing, that would
have been 20years ago and at the limit the limit most certainly would have
passed muster.  So, in order for the FAA to be responsible, they would have to
recertify every application every few years.  Again, may be impossible and
certainly wouldn't be cost effective.

I don't mind the FAA spending my tax dollars to ensure that the plane I'm on
doesn't fall out of the sky ect.  But I don't think that the FAA's mandate
needs to cover all possible inconveniences.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121