Isn't XForms supposed to give us this sort of functionality without
scripting?  Whatever happened with that?  All the examples I see of
this look like they require some server-side transformation to
transform the XForm into HTML.

It would be a nice start if they could just add a datatype attribute
to the <input> tag.  I would think that

<input type="text" datatype="integer">

should be pretty easy for any existing browser to deal with, but new
browsers that could handle the datatype attribute would not let the
user key non-numeric characters into the field.

Frankly, I'm surprised MS didn't do something like this with IE.