Pardon my ignorance, I am a bit lost about what we are trying to achieve :

In 5250, when I use the DDS keyword, CHECK(LC) lower case characters are allowed. In the absence of this keyword, irrespective of the "shift" of the keyboard, only upper case input is used. I normally achieve this in HTML/CSS with the style="text-transform:uppercase;" syntax. And this is supported on firefox, IE, Netscape and Opera.

I have never tried to dynamically change lower case input to upper case in a 5250 screen ( I have never had the requirement to do so and whenever casing mattered XLATE was enough to handle most situations ).

Having said this, my question still remains : What am I missing ? What are the ugly workarounds that are required ? and why ?

The only reason I am so interested in this debate, is that we try to make our applications as browser neutral as possible, although the company is standardized on IE. And we do this so that the "Internet Business Development" team does not say that the AS/400 slobs cannot do it, and it does not ( IMHO ) cost us any more to do this correct.

Thoroughly confused
Pillai

Joe Pluta wrote:

That's a different thing, Pillai.  That changes the entire field, not
just the character being typed.  Typically it's only done when you exit
the field, at which point the whole field magically goes from lower case
to upper case.  You can do it on each key press as well, but it can be
quite annoying to see the flash.  It tends to lose the carat position as
well; try using the arrow key in the following:

Joe

From: Narayanan R Pillai

A simple example: I can dynamically change the user's
keystroke from a lower-case 'a' to an upper-case 'A' (just like we do

in

the 5250). This is because the character value in the keypress event

is

updatable.  In Mozilla, this property is read-only.  Without this
capability, I have to choose between some pretty ugly workarounds.

Sorry but I do not follow. I thought the code

onkeyup="this.value = this.value.toUpperCase();"

worked on Firefox, IE, Netscape and Opera.