I think I've seen a mix years ago.  It was a real estate package that
would pull up a picture of the house.  Or an employee package that would
pull up a picture of the employee.  Basically, a canned package to enhance
your existing applications by adding this capability.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/25/2005 04:03 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Green-screen versus browser

> A simple example:  PC user is signed onto the iSeries thru Client
> Access/5250.  User selects option 5=display details from a subfile
> display.  Instead of the RPG program sending another 5250 display
> screen down to the user, you want to establish a socket connection to
> that PC, send the data to the PC program on the other end of the
> socket, and have that program put a WinForm window up to display the
> option 5=display data.

Personally, I'd rather see the entire application be GUI or the entire
application be green screen. I don't like it when someone mixes the two
like this. (Just my opinion, of course.)

> How would you go about doing that?  It is not easy, if not impossible.
> The 5250 interactive job cannot start a thread to handle the socket
> link because interactive jobs on the as400 cant multi thread.

Shrug...  The spawn() API could be used so that you have multiple jobs
instead of multiple threads. You could have one job that reads the socket
and write's the data to a data queue.  Another that reads a data queue and

puts the results onto the socket.  Then the interactive job could work
purely with data queues, which can be attached to the display file to
allow multiplexing.

Like I said, I don't like this type of coding. I'd rather see all 5250 or
all GUI. And that's my recommendations to programmers who are trying to
implement this. But if you MUST mix them for some reason, it's not
impossible.
list