Take a look at the WRDWRAP keyword - can be specified at file, record, or field level. i don't think it can be done in SDA, however - could not find it at V5R1 - another example of the tools not keeping up - oh, that's right we're not supposed to use SDA, are we? Oy!

The Application Display Programming manual has important usage info on this keyword. Get it at InfoCenter.

At 06:04 PM 4/22/2005, you wrote:
midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   3. RE: Dynamically change the output text on Sign-on screen
>      (ganeshkumar.murugesan@xxxxxxxxx)
>
>But how do I attach the message file to the display file ??

Ganesh:

This reply might take some testing before it makes full sense. You might need to see it work...

The link to the IBM document previously provided will tell you all of the information needed to get this done. I use a technique that is a variation of that. The lines that I insert into the signon display file DDS look generally like this:

  A            COPYRIGHT     40A  O 24 40DSPATR(HI)
  A            UBUFFER      128A  H
  A            MSGLINE      640A  O 12  1MSGID(usr 0001 mylib/mymsgf)

Notice that the MSGLINE is defined as being 640 characters long. In this case, that means that a full eight lines of the display are used. If more lines are needed, the size can be increased as much as needed as long as other fields on the display are not interfered with.

IBM's example required a separate message identifier for each line on the display. This example uses a single msgid for all of those lines.

The "trick" is in how the message description is added to the message file.

In this example, the msgid is USR0001 and you would add it to message file MYLIB/MYMSGF. When adding a msgid to a msgf, you can have first-level and second-level text. Normally _only_ the first-level text gets placed in a display file MSGID() field.

However, if you set the first-level text to be the same as the msgid, then the second-level text will be used instead. Example:

==> addmsgd msgid( USR0001 ) +
msgf( mylib/mymsgf ) +
msg( USR0001 ) +
seclvl( 'Here is some long message that can go on and on and on and on and on ....

The rest of the "trick" is in testing how the second-level text appears on the display so that you insert blanks in the right places. I haven't found any way to cause auto-word-wrap.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.