Hi Jeff -

I did this:

CHGSMTPA MAILROUTER('outgoing.verizon.net')
         FIREWALL(*YES)
         ALWRLY(*NEAR *LIST)

And I can't send mail because I get this:

NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO SOME/ALL RECIPIENTS.
REPLY CODES WITH FIRST DIGIT = '4' OR '5' ARE ERROR REPLIES.
ERRORS THAT DO NOT HAVE ERROR REPLY CODES MAY EXIST.

HOST I5 NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO FOLLOWING RECIPIENT(S):
   <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxx>
ERROR IN BATCH SMTP COMMAND SEQUENCE.
   MAIL FROM:<jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   550 5.7.1 Authentication Required

Which makes sense because I need to authenticate to Verizon.  However I
don't see anywhere in the CHGSMTPA command or in iSeries Nav where I can do
that.  Is that something I have to stick into the Cisco PIX appliance?

The authentication is part of the SMTP command stream so I don't think the Cisco can do it for you.

I don't use iSeries SMTP so I can't tell you if authentication is supported. Hopefully someone else can give you a definitive answer.

If the iSeries cannot do the authentication, two options come to mind:

1. Set up a small server to run MTA software which CAN do the authentication. Use this server for all of your mail processing. The only mail processing that the iSeries would do is sending mail, relaying it via that server. If you go this route, I'd recommend a Linux-based server.

2. Relay through some ISP other than Verizon, who will authenticate just on the basis of your static IP address.

Considering the number of people who are blocking Verizon's mail servers at their router because of Verizon's brain-dead and totally abusive method of "validating" incoming email, I'd recommend option 2. If you go that route, be sure to use a white-hat ISP so that you aren't going from the frying pan to the fire.

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/