On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Neil Palmer/DPS wrote:

Idea is one copy of invoice will be scanned into an imaging system and
become a legal document, need to make sure they are identical, hence not
wanting to do two passes of print program (or two printer files in one
program).

One more complication, one copy will need "SHIPING COPY" at the bottom,
and the other "CUSTOMER COPY", so either that needs to be printed
differently on each copy (therefore we'd HAVE to have two spool files
anyway) or when printing two copies on ewould have drawer 1 and one
overlay and the other drawer 2 and a different overlay.

You can do this with only one "print file" if you use postscript. Obviously, using postscript means no print file at. But with postscript you can generate only one output file, and then run a post-processor on it that will put the "SHIPPING COPY" and "CUSTOMER COPY" on the bottom. You could even do it as a watermark. Additionally, postscript converts to pdf splendidly. Plus most laser printers do postscript natively but ipds is always an additional cost.

I've done a bunch of postscript programming lately. I've found the following page to be very helpful:

http://www.cs.indiana.edu/docproject/programming/postscript/postscript.html

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
        - billyskank on Groklaw