Mike,

Nice job. Please let us know if you hear anything back !

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 3:29 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: The IBM iSeries word from FOSE...

Very true.  I just hate to say that without being able to back it up.

iSeriesNetwork just ran an article and there was the following quote from
an analyst (Jeff Hewitt) at Gartner:

Mr. Hewitt was quoted as saying "Hewitt hasn't heard a one-minute "elevator
speech" that would convince him that the iSeries is the way to go - nor
does he believe he's likely to hear one."

Here is my email that most likely will never get a reply:

Here is one.....

1.) SAP feasibility study for a mid-size manufacturer.
2.) Major manufacturing and financial modules implemented.
3.) Comparison between WINTEL/SQL Server and iSeries configuration.
4.) 20 Wintel server configuration compared to 2 iSeries i5 servers.
5.)  Hardware acquisition costs showed the iSeries to be 11% more
expensive.
6.)  Hardware acquisition, software acquisition, hardware maintenance, and
software maintenance showed the iSeries to be 4% less expensive per year
given a 3 year depreciation schedule.
7.)  Technical personnel (Basis, systems administration, data base
administration) requirements determined a need for 3-4 iSeries support
personnel vs 8-12 support personnel for the WINTEL SQL server environment.
Unix/Oracle solution required 12-14 personnel.  Personnel requirements
determined by SAP and best practices for the industry.
8.)  Annual savings estimated for running SAP on iSeries vs. WINTEL/SQL
Server estimated to be $500,000 to $800,000 annually.  Unix solution was
even more expensive.
9.)  Personnel costs were for an area (central Indiana) with a cost of
living below the national average.

Same product, slightly more stable, slightly more secure.  ANNUAL SAVINGS
OF $500,000 to $800,000.

That would be my one minute elevator speech.

Now Joe, I don't disagree with your viewpoints at all.  I just happen to
think that in certain circumstances the cost differential is to large to
not lead with.  If a rational analysis is done (key word if, oh wait and
also rational) the iSeries will come out ahead a lot of the time.  So
perhaps I should have said something more in line with 'What about
downtime? And by the way, I bet it isn't more expensive'..............

And as a result of some of these discussions I do have an updated
resume......