> From: Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 1.)  I haven't seen any recently quantified and current number
comparing
> the two....We track our iSeries systems and do well 99.97 or better.
And
> this is with a complex and mixed environment.  But I'd feel better
being
> able to point to someone's black and white number regarding WINTEL.

And who are you going to trust regarding those numbers?  Especially
since the issue is so dependent on the type of load, as you mentioned.

> 2.)  In a lot of customer environments they probably have good up
times.
> Like ours for example, we run a fair number of WINTEL servers (even 10
> inboard).  Now, of course, each system is effectively running one
> application only and in some cases these systems are only providing
> rudimentary services and are not full application systems.  But we
have
> relatively few problems with our systems with regards to downtime.

This cracks me up... "Sure, 15 dedicated servers give us as much uptime
as the iSeries."  Well, my guess is the cost of 15 servers could also
get you a nice iSeries.

> 3.)  While it is a true cost of ownership item a lot of people tend to
> say,
> hey if it's not cash I don't treat it the same.  Not that I'd agree
with
> it...but lately I've even been seeing that kind of mentality creep
into
> our
> environment.  Not cash going out, the concern level is less.

That's an education issue: how many servers do you have?  How many
people?  How many hours do they spend updating those machines?  TCO is
definitely money going out.  But if your management don't understand
that, it's time to find a new job, because that company is tanking SOON.

> 4.)  And last but not least, I am fully convinced that a lot of WINTEL
> people are completely comfortable with living with downtime and
security
> issues.  I'm not saying it's right but I think there are a lot of
people
> who accept mediocrity.   Our WINTEL based portal and some of our plant
> floor systems rely on SQL server.  Two years ago we had to shut them
all
> down due to SQL Server virus problems.  24 hours for some while
systems
> were patched.  Move forward 12 months later we have our CFO saying
that
> our
> SAP platform has to be SQL Server......the same one that was shutdown
for
> 24 hours......If that had been one of my systems shut down for 24
hours
> I'd
> be hearing that outage as a reason to replace the system for at least
the
> next five years...........

This is why I hate Bill Gates.  His philosophy of delivering cheap crap
until there is no competition has single-handedly reduced the state of
software development and lowered consumer expectations to rock bottom.

Joe