While I still think that downtime and security are issues I normally try to
downplay them more than we have in the past.  WINTEL availability numbers
are not  bad, I'm sure you have some people with bad experiences but I
think you have just as many if not more with good experiences.

I'm more in line with the issue of complexity and the number of people
required to support it.  Our parent company and our auditors push best
practices all the time - If I follow those guidelines for personnel in
almost any scenario for us the staffing requirements for WINTEL/SQL SERVER
and ANY FLAVOR UNIX/WITH ANY FLAVOR DB normally far exceed that of a
comparable iSeries environment.  Sure, people can cut corners to reduce the
manpower requirements but then again....they need to............

             boyd bill
             <bill.boyd@tggrou
             pna.com>                                                   To
                                       Midrange Systems Technical
             04/07/2005 11:14          Discussion
             AM                        <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             Midrange Systems          RE: The IBM iSeries word from
                 Technical             FOSE...
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Oh, trust me, I'm not going down without a fight. I simply said "sure,
intel
may be cheaper, but what's the cost of downtime?"