Wilt, Charles wrote:
> I see your point, but I disagree with you.

As is your right :)

> What you're say you're asking for, backup and restore to a new
> location.  Is in my mind different from what you are actually asking
> for, backup and restore to a new schema/collection.

New collection, yes ... *NOT* a new schema (I consider the schema to be
the database structure).  A collection (as I understand it) is simply a
container for all the associated data, access paths, and other related
bits of database information.  In other SQL systems it's simply called a
 database.

> You want it to work like backup and restore of a library, the problem
> is an SQL schema is more complex than a simple library.  Heck, even
> backup/restore has some glitches when you restore to a different
> library.

It shouldn't be.  The iSeries is so tightly integrated that changing the
database / collection / library name should be simplicity itself (from a
users perspective).  If the system has to do a lot of work under the
covers is something I don't care about ... and I shouldn't have to be
aware of (except, maybe, that the restore takes longer than a normal
library restore).

> I don't think any RDMS would be able to do what are actually asking
> for.  To handle testing/development with any RDBMS, including the
> iSeries, you need to set up separate database servers/instances.

Absolutely untrue.  I should be able to have as many copies of a
database on a single system as I have capacity to store them.  Having a
separate system to host different databases is ridiculous.  Not being
able to take a copy of a database for testing and/or development
purposes without moving it to a different system is absurd.

With MSSQL server I can save a database and restore it to a new name
easily.  I do it all the time.  It's part and parcel of doing software
development ... some call it parallel testing.

JMHO, of course.

david

--
David Gibbs
david@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Receipt of this message does not grant you permission to send me
Unsolicited Commercial Email