Jeff,

ODBC requests from the Client Access (or iSeries Access) ODBC drivers
are processes through the *SQLSRV server.  There are two exit points for
this server, QIBM_QZDA_SQL1 and QIBM_QZDA_SQL2.  This information used
to be kept in the "Host Servers Guide", but if you Google QIBM_QZDA_SQL2
site:ibm.com, you'll find the current references.

The SQL1 exit point only presents the first 512 bytes of the ODBC
request to the exit program, and for this reason it is strongly not
recommended.  The SQL2 exit point will present the entire SQL string (up
to 64K length) to the exit program.  This is the exit program you should
monitor because it will not allow someone to hide a file name from you
in bytes 513 - 65535.  Teasing a file and library name out of one of
these strings (and especially doing it with any semblance of
performance) is yet another trick.  Remember that an SQL string can
start with a "SELECT" statement and then have embedded "UPDATE" and
"DELETE" statements.  There is also the issue with file overrides,
alias' etc.  You want to be sure that you understand the potential of
SQL as you write an SQL exit program.  And remember that when you
install exit programs into an exit point, all ODBC attempts system wide
will be intercepted - so it's usually better to either have a test
system that you can dedicate to this, or do your testing off hours when
you won't disrupt production.

And one more word of caution, remember that ODBC is only one of the many
ways that users can access iSeries data from their PC's.  You should
also consider protecting the FTP, DDM, REXEC, and other exit programs.
For that reason you may find it beneficial to purchase exit programs
rather than attempt to create your own.  PowerTech has been selling exit
programs commercially since 1997, and we've gotten pretty good at it.
I'll bet we could save you a ton of headaches.

jte

--
John Earl | Chief Technology Officer
The PowerTech Group

This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of
the intended recipients and may contain information that is privileged
and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you
received this email message in error, please immediately notify the
sender by replying to this email message, or by telephone, and delete
the message from your email system.