John Earl" wrote:
Subject: RE: Control access to files requested via ODBC
And one more word of caution, remember that ODBC is only one of the many
ways that users can access iSeries data from their PC's.  You should
also consider protecting the FTP, DDM, REXEC, and other exit programs.
For that reason you may find it beneficial to purchase exit programs
rather than attempt to create your own.  PowerTech has been selling exit
programs commercially since 1997, and we've gotten pretty good at it.
I'll bet we could save you a ton of headaches.

Jeff -
I have to agree with John...writing exit programs can be very challenging. Buy their software and let it manage all of of the possible points of exposure.

We have been using PowerTools for a couple of years now. We switched to PowerTech's PowerTools over from PentaSafe (now NetIQ) because we feel it is a superior product, it is easier to administer, and, IIRC, cheaper!

It also has a "learn" mode, that records authority failures and allows you to "memorize" this function to allow it next time for a particular user/function. This feature comes in very handy if you're not sure what you need to set up to allow the user a particular function. Just have them try the function (like ODBC access or FTP access), then find the message in PowerTools and tell it to allow it.

Regards,
Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935