From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Graap, Ken
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:57 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Disk storage - iSeries/Windows/UNIX

The more I think about this why would it even matter what the block size
is for an iSeries controlled disk?

The "virtual" disk space or REAL disk allocated to a UNIX partition
would be formatted and controlled by the OS running in that parturition
(AIX or Linux).

As for Windows... A virtual disk would be allocated to an xSeries system
(IBM's integrated Intel based server) and this disk would be formatted
by Windows. For example, as an FAT32 disk or a NTFS disk.

How the actual data is stored on the physical disk within the disk
subsystem on the iSeries (AS400) wouldn't matter...RIGHT ????  Because
direct data sharing of these virtual storage spaces is not part of this
equation. These "virtual" disks would not be shared disk. That is they
wouldn't be disk that the iSeries could read directly. The iSeries could
backup the storage space though, because it is known to OS400 as an
"object". OS400 could also do file level saves of Windows space because
it participates in SMB as a client or a server. Sharing between UNIX
storage spaces and other OS's could be done using SAMBA or NFS...

What do you think ????

Kenneth