My Domino is running Native, not PASE, not on an IXS card, not on a Linux
partition, but on an OS/400 partition.  Granted, I do have 1 or 2 Domino
specialty servers on Window servers.
And my MSD was definitely on the OS/400 partition.  Not to say the Linux
partition didn't have it's own issues, but I suspect it was because we run
that partition of Linux underneath OS/400.
Are you saying that if it's not a COBOL, or RPG, application running a
traditional ERP application under green screen 5250, then it's not
"really" i5?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
03/04/2005 11:52 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
What is an i5 (iSeries, AS/400)

OK, this may sound like a stupid question, but what is an i5 (or iSeries
or AS/400)? I don't want the answer "It's the new iSeries", I mean what
do you consider to be the i5? When you're running on an i5, what are you
doing?

For example, I was reading iSeries magazine (I think that was it)
recently, and someone announced the availability of a Citrix Metaframe
component for the i5. "Interesting" I thought, then I read the fine
print, "only available on i5's with the IXS adapter" so actually, it's a
Windows app, running on a blade in the back of an i5. Is the i5 now a
blade server?

Elsewhere (on this list) I read a post about someone having a really bad
week. Part of the bad week involved having to reboot the Domino Sametime
server and a Linux partition. So is the i5, now just a piece of hardware
on which we run some not-so-stable operating systems?

I visited a customer a couple of weeks ago that swore up and down that
he was running WebSphere "on the iSeries". Well, I looked high and low
and I couldn't find it. Finally tracked it down to WebSphere on W2K,
running on an IXS, again is that "on the iSeries"?

I've also seen posts about people wondering if there are "native" ports
of PHP, even though it's available in PASE. So is PASE not "native". Is
something that runs on PASE not "native" to the machine? DNS is in
there. So's DHCP. People say their i5 does DNS, don't they?

I myself got caught up in this, I'm doing a number of user group
presentations next week on HTML and ASP.NET, and someone asked me if
they could promote the meetings by saying that I'd look at running .NET
_on_ the i5. My quick response was, "no, you can't do that." but now I'm
wondering, can I? If it's on an IXS in the back of the i5 can I claim
it's on an i5?

So, what is an i5 (iSeries, AS/400)? What does it mean to you?

I'll tell you my answer. An i5 runs OS/400. If it runs in OS/400
(including QSHELL and PASE) then it's running "on" an i5. AIX and Linux
partitions don't count for me, I might as well do them on a pSeries. And
the IXS, well hell, I sure don't consider the i5 to be a big blade
server, so anything running on an IXS isn't running "on" an i5 as far as
I'm concerned.

What do others think?

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III