On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:43:23 -0600
 "Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > From: Brad Stone
> >
> > Doesn't native I/O (read, chain, etc) use SQL down in
> the
> > bowels of the system anyhow?
>
> Not for everything.  Certainly not for single record
> CHAINs.

I swear I heard it somewhere a while back RPG I/O gets
converted to SQL somewhere down the line...  I could be
wrong, but I would be interested in hearing from Barbara on
this...  if anything for curiosity.

> > To me, it sounds like you are trying to market for your
> > gain here.  :)  Don't take that the wrong way.  I agree
> > with it, but it's sort of weighted to one of your
> > solutions, isn't it?
>
> This is baseless and a tad offensive.  You can use
> embedded SQL and
> PSC/400 will work fine.

Not talking about PCS.  Not baseless, since it is a major
part of your sessions and teaching these days.  And it
certainly wasn't meant to be offensive.  It's just that if
IBM were to use your marketing idea, it would be easy to
see you saying "see, IBM says exactly what I do!"  I'm sure
it's easy to see that.

> > What language was designed to format HTML?  Can't be
> the
> > big "J".  Unless you're taking their old marketing and
> > turning it around on them.  I'd never thought of Java
> as a
> > language designed to format HTML.  But many have tried
> > use that as a reason to move to it.  :)
>
> Java was designed to run in cable converter boxes, if you
> want to get
> specific about it.  Then it was redefined as a Web
> serving language.  It
> took several releases before you could even run it
> outside of a browser.

To me, it was marketed as a web language moreso to sell
products like websphere and get people away from "free" RPG
or other web solutions.  I always thought of it as a decent
platform, where portability (when done right) was it's
strongpoint.  Mediocre with other aspects that are more
important to me.

I'm not arguing with you Joe.  I've been preaching "your"
argument that RPG is the best for years now.  So have
others.

Join us, don't fight us!  :)

Brad