From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 6:17 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Time to get serious

> From: Brad Stone
>
> > > To me, it sounds like you are trying to market for your gain here.

> > > :)  Don't take that the wrong way.  I agree with it, but it's sort

> > > of weighted to one of your solutions, isn't it?
> >
> > This is baseless and a tad offensive.  You can use
> > embedded SQL and
> > PSC/400 will work fine.
> >

> Not talking about PCS.  Not baseless, since it is a major part of your

> sessions and teaching these days.

Hey, Brad, my teaching is about the best way to do things.  I teach
people to use all kinds of things, and I make sure they use the right
tool for the right job.  And it is offensive, because I don't question
your motivation when every other post of yours is about RPG-CGI, even
though it is the worst possible architecture for web serving.

> It's just that if
> IBM were to use your marketing idea, it would be easy to
> see you saying "see, IBM says exactly what I do!"  I'm sure it's easy
> to see that.

Hey, Brad?  If IBM uses my marketing idea, it's because it's a good
idea.  I can't believe you're questioning the motivation of my advocacy
of the iSeries.  Why don't you talk to some IBMers and see what they
think.

> To me, it was marketed as a web language moreso to sell products like
> websphere and get people away from "free" RPG or other web solutions.

Java was marketed as a web language by Sun Microsystems, after it was
renamed from Oak.  You really might want to read up on the history of
Java sometime.

> I'm not arguing with you Joe.  I've been preaching "your" argument
> that RPG is the best for years now.  So have others.

You don't preach anything LIKE my argument.  You and your RPG-X
goofiness argues the worst reasons to stay with RPG - basically you
don't like Java.  The truth is that the right answer is an amalgam of
all things: RPG, Java, SQL, native, CL, REXX, you name it.  And the
iSeries provides that capability better than any other platform.

Joe