>There are times when the email is not an accepted method.  That is for a
>few situations like disk exceeding threshold.  At that time, the system
>automatically shuts down SMTP to slow the fill of disk space.

Just a minor note... The SMTP server isn't _required_ to be active on the
AS/400 (or iSeries or i5) in order to send an SMTP e-mail. TCP/IP must be
active (and a route must be available, etc.), but the server can be down.

A relatively simple sockets program can connect to an SMTP server on another
system, perhaps one that is already configured to route e-mail from the AS/400,
and insert e-mail for sending. The sockets send/receive sequences are
documented in the SMTP RFCs.

This is pretty much how most PC e-mail clients send e-mail without actually
running their own servers.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta