> From: michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Quick search on Monster...iSeries OR AS/400 - 14 hits; Java - 182
hits;
> java and (iseries or AS/400) - 0 hits.

Just for the fun of it, search results for my area (Chicago Northwest):

35 - RPG or iSeries or AS/400
91 - Java
 5 - Java and (RPG or iSeries or AS/400)
48 - (.NET or C#)
 2 - (.NET or C#) and (RPG or iSeries or AS/400)

Interesting - .NET is closer to RPG than Java for available positions.
The requirements for some of these jobs are laughable, though.  Here's a
good one:
---------

The client is a $300 MM Corporation, which is based in a Chicago
northwest suburb. It's a consumer product manufacturer, which sells
product and services through company owned stores and franchises. The
Senior Programmer/Analyst:

. Is responsible for application development and support in an AS400,
.Net intranet, POS Integration, and SQL Server environment.
. Provides technical expertise and leadership in the design, development
and delivery of applications, while adhering to strict timelines,
deliverables, and quality.
. Develops and documents functional and technical requirements.
. Develops solutions that are efficient, re-usable, open, and
maintainable.
. Defines business processes and find ways to streamline and automate
these processes in order to provide business value.

REQUIREMENTS:

. BS or MS degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
. 7+ years of business and technical experience in AS400 environment.
. 3+ years experience .Net, SQL Server environment.
. Possess a wide range of experience in various sizes and types of
projects.
. Solid understanding and practical experience in object-oriented design
and development (OOA/OOD)

SKILLSET:
. .Net Web Development (VB.net, ASP.net, ADO.net, IIS, Visual Studio,
VB6)
. HTML
. SQL Server (database design, development, TSQL)
. Integration tools (XML, FTP, SQL DTS, AS400 MQ and Data Queues)
. AS400 tools (RPG III, RPG IV, RPG free format, CL, PDM tools, DBU,
SQL)
. AS400 and Windows based change management tools

PLUSES:
. Experience with AS400 JDA MMS and JDE manufacturing applications
. Java, JSP, Javascript
. AS400 LPAR familiarity
. AS400 POS integration experience
. MKS Implementer and Source Integrity Manager change management tools
. Familiarity with enterprise reporting and analysis tools, NGS
IQ/Qport, Business Objects, Actuate, SQL Server Reporting Engine,
Cognos, Crystal Reports
---------

Uh huh.  Over seven years in AS/400, over three in .NET.  OOA/OOD.  .NET
web development AND Java/JSP/JavaScript.  XML and data queues and RPG
free format.  LPAR and POS would be nice.

Who comes up with these requirements?

Joe