I have 2 3581-L28 drives currently being used as TAP01 and TAP02.  I shortly
want to begin using them as TAPMLB01 and TAPMLB02.

To get familiar with how MLBs work I varied off TAP02 and varied on
TAPMLB02.  Started messing around.  Load tape.  WRKMLBSTS, WRKMLMBRM,
WRKMLBBRM, etc. Mount and 'Demount' (is that really a word?).  I did all
this with the drive in random mode.  The 3581 manual says automatic mode
should switch between sequential and random, so I decided to try that while
I was at it.

Well I couldn't get it to work, so I changed it back to random mode.  After
that, I can no longer vary on TAPMLB02.  I've power cycled the drive, done a
reset at the 3581 operator panel, done a VRYCFG with about every combination
of CFGTYPE(*MLBRSC or *DEV) STATUS(*ON or *RESET) RANGE(*NET or *OBJECT)
RESET(*YES or *NO) to no avail.  I can vary on TAP02 and use it just fine.

According to Supportline, I will 1) need to IPL in order to get it working
again(!), and 2) must use it in random mode 'cause automatic mode doesn't
work/not supported on the i5.  They pointed me to APAR II12621 which says
the 3581 must be used in random mode.  (This is from the V4R4 timeframe, so
I thought that would have been 'fixed' by now.  The APAR is so old it refers
to ULTRIUM1 as being new - we are now at ULTRIUM2 and on the verge of
ULTRIUM3.)

Does this sound right, that I must IPL to get it varied on?  Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.

company.  Unless I say so.