Hopefully you'll hear a better response, but, if an ipl is required, try
this first:
strsst
1. Start a service tool
7. Hardware service manager
1.  Packaging hardware resources (systems, frames, cards,...)
Find your tape unit
You might use 8 or 9 to verify that it's the right unit.
3=Concurrent maintenance
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
Check to see if the light is blinking on the card that the tape is plugged
into on the back of your iSeries.  This is a verification step.
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
Check to see if the light is no longer blinking on the card that the tape
is plugged into on the back of your iSeries.  This is a verification step.
Is the tape unit now the only unit displayed?
F9=Power off domain
run through those steps
F10=Power on domain
run through those steps

That's like an IPL.

I actually have these steps typed up for one 3581 that used to give us
fits.  I'll cc you on this list so you'll get the attachment.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

STRSST
1. Start a service tool
7. Hardware service manager
1.  Packaging hardware resources (systems, frames, cards,...)
                                    Type-                         Resource
Opt Description                     Model    Unit ID              Name
    System                          9406-570 U9406.570.103BDDD    SYS01
     System Unit             +      7879-001 U7879.001.DQD02NW    FR01
In front of System unit, the 7879, use:
9=Hardware contained within package
In front of 'Unknown Resource'
3=Concurrent maintenance
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
Check to see that the card is blinking.
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
Turn the blink off
F9=Power off domain
Press Enter to begin power off.
F12=Cancel
                                    Type-    Resource
Opt Description                     Model    Name       Location
    System Unit                     7879-001 FR01
     Active Backplane               28DA     P03        P1
      Combined Function IOP    *    2844-001 P31        P1-C1
      Communications IOA            2793-001 P57        P1-C2
       Communications Port          2793-001 P58        P1-C2-T1
       Communications Port          2793-001 P59        P1-C2-T2
      Combined Function IOP         2844-001 P53        P1-C3
In front of the Combined Function IOP in P53
3=Concurrent maintenance
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
Check to see that the card is blinking.
2=Toggle LED blink off/on
Turn the blink off
F9=Power off domain
Press Enter to begin power off.
Power off complete.  Check power indicator (LED) to confirm.
Disconnect the cable to the 3580 from the i5 end.
F10=Power on domain
Press Enter to begin power on.
7=Assign
Power on complete.

Hook cable back up.
F12=Cancel back to "Packaging Hardware Resources"
F12=Cancel back to "Packaging Hardware Resources"  (different screen though)
F12=Cancel back to "Hardware Service Manager"
4.  Failed and non-reporting hardware resources
Tape drive no longer appears.
F12=Cancel back to "Hardware Service Manager"
F12=Cancel back to "System Service Tools (SST)"
F12=Cancel back to "Exit System Service Tools"
Press Enter to continue ending SST.
WRKCFGSTS *DEV TAP02
1=Vary on
Vary on completed for device TAP02.