There seems to be some confusion as to how you are attempting access (web
browser, Client Access, etc).  I've got a Linksys router that does FTP port
redirection to a PC-based ftp server.  The router recognizes the FTP
request and automatically redirects to the designated internal IP address.
A 5250 session is not FTP or HTTP which typical come in on standard ports
so it won't redirect it.  That's why you need to specify a port.  You can
*open* a port to the AS/400 but you will have to specify it when you
connect.

If you are trying to connect with a web browser and set up HTTP port
redirection to the AS/400 I don't think that would work because that would
be more like using the AS/400 as a HTTP server which isn't really what you
want.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      Vernon Hamberg

                      <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxx        To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      t>
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>@SMTP@CTB
                      Sent by:                    cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      midrange-l-bounces@m        Subject:  Re: RE: RE:
Accessing AS400 Through Port Redirection
                      idrange.com

                      01/19/2005 08:01 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midrange

                      .com>

It was not clear that you are specifying the external port when you try to
connect to this IP address from the outside. You must put    :4000   after
the IP address, otherwise there is nothing to forward through the router.

http://yourexternalip:4000

If you want to come in with Client Access, there is a whole raft of ports
you need to open up. The VPN suggestion is more secure. LinkSys makes some
nice VPN routers/appliances that can also do port redirection to some
extent, if needed. You either need a client on the remote computers or set
up a VPN "dialup" connection in Windows.

HTH
Vern

At 06:28 AM 1/19/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Mike
>
>I already have the standard external ports, (80, 21, 23, etc) mapped to
>the relevant servers within the network and they work fine.  I have always
>been led to believe that mapping alternative ports to these ports on
>different servers is fine but it requires the external port to be
>specified (which I don't mind doing).
>
>I started looking at the redirection to port 80, purely because I thought
>it would be the easiest to test - a different web page to that of my
>normal web server - figuring that if I could access a web page on the
>AS/400 then it should be fairly straight forward to access an interactive
>session with Client Access or Mocha TN5250 as the emulator.
>
>I will double check the default route when I get back home on Friday.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jonathan

mailing