LOL - but it's really meant as an example of how IBM has used the idea of extended attributes. There are all kinds of *FILE objects. What distinguishes each type? The extended attribute. (MI gurus, please do not listen now!). When you look at WRKOBJ SOMELIB/*ALL, the list has an "Attribute" column - this is the extended attribute, for all intents and purposes. For programs this will be things like RPGLE, CLLE, CLP, etc. For files it will be things like PF, LF, DSPF, ICFF, etc.

One use of this kind of thing would be to distinguish one "kind" of user space from another, I suppose. The difference might be that each "kind" is organized differently - this is all under your control. But you could have a program that will use a different set of routines for one "kind" of user space than for another.

Here's an example of WRKOBJ that shows 2 user spaces I just created - copy/paste it into NotePad to see the columns - hope it does not wrap in your email client

Opt Object Type Library Attribute Text

CHKWRD *CMD VHAMBERGO

CRTUSRSPC *CMD VHAMBERGO

DBR *CMD VHAMBERGO Display database relations
LSTFLD *CMD VHAMBERGO

ANYTHING *QMQRY VHAMBERGO SQL

TEST *QMQRY VHAMBERGO SQL

USRSPC1 *USRSPC VHAMBERGO DSPFFD User space for DSPFFD outpu
USRSPC2 *USRSPC VHAMBERGO DSPFD User space for DSPFD output

The "Attribute" column contains the extended attributes I set when I created the user spaces.

Note that the *QMQRY objects have an SQL attribute - the other possible value is PROMPT, IIRC. This derives from settings in Query Manager.

If you do a DMPOBJ, you will se a section in the spooled file called .ATTRIBUTE- which is this value.

HTH
Vern