>From the CL programming manual, chapter 9;

Name (*NAME). The parameter value is a character string that represents a basic
name. The maximum length of the name is 256 characters. The first character is
alphabetic (A-Z), $, #, or @. The remaining characters are the same as the
first character, but can also include the numbers 0 through 9, underscores (_),
and periods (.). The name can also be a string of characters that begin and end
with double quotation marks (″). The system passes the value to the
command processing program as a character string of the length specified in the
LEN parameter. The value is left-justified and padded with blanks. Normally,
you use the *NAME type for object names. If you can enter a special value such
as *LIBL or *NONE for the name parameter, you must describe the special value
on the SPCVAL parameter. Then, if the display station user enters one of the
allowed special values for the parameter, the system bypasses the rules for
name verification.