Rob,

How is it set on the other system ? Same profile ?

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 12:40 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: What starts printer writers?

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions.  As I said earlier, my QSTRUP is unmodified
but I checked again by doing
DSPSYSVAL SYSVAL(QSTRUPPGM)
Startup program  . . . . . . :   QSTRUP
  Library  . . . . . . . . . :     QSYS
CRTSRCPF FILE(QTEMP/QCLSRC)
RTVCLSRC PGM(QSYS/QSTRUP) SRCFILE(QTEMP/QCLSRC)
DSPPFM FILE(QTEMP/QCLSRC)
And it has:
DONE:
     QSYS/STRSBS SBSD(QSPL)
     MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
     QSYS/RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QSTRPRTWTR) RTNVAR(&STRWTRS)
     IF COND(&STRWTRS = '0') THEN(GOTO CMDLBL(NOWTRS))
     CALL PGM(QSYS/QWCSWTRS)
     MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
NOWTRS:

However:
DSPOBJD OBJ(QSYS/QWCSWTRS) OBJTYPE(*PGM)
Last used date is blank.  (Based on later data, this field must not be
updated by this call.)

DSPSYSVAL QSTRPRTWTR
1=Start

DSPLOG:
CPF1804-Subsystem QSPL in library QSYS starting.
...  from job 661979/QPGMR/QSTRUPJD
WRKJOB JOB(661979/QPGMR/QSTRUPJD)

Dan, you turned a light on with your QSTRUP job comment.  Granted QSTRUP
is the program, not the job.  But it did inspire me harder to find the
startup job.  And that one last look in the joblog found it as
661979/QPGMR/QSTRUPJD.  There are numerous errors in that joblog.  All
like:
CPF3464 - Not authorized to output queue
We secure almost all of our output queues.  QPGMR (the runner of the
QSTRUPJD job) has access to squat.

Anyone see a security issue with CHGJOBD JOBD(QSYS/QSTRUPJD)
USER(GODLIKE)?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

dkimmel@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/17/2005 12:06 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: What starts printer writers?

You should have some lines in your QSTRUP like this:

     QSYS/RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QSTRPRTWTR) RTNVAR(&STRWTRS)
     IF COND(&STRWTRS = '0') THEN(GOTO CMDLBL(NOWTRS))
     CALL PGM(QSYS/QWCSWTRS)
     MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
NOWTRS:

That program, QWCSWTRS should be rockin' through all your printer device
configurations looking for ones that are set for ONLINE *YES and starting
them up. If there's a problem, it should be in the job log of your QSTRUP
job.

Note that TCP/IP starts up asynchronously in the QSTRUP. We've had some
problems with remote writers starting because TCP/IP wasn't fully
operational by the time QSTRUP hit the print writer startup. Not a big
deal, just re-arrange your QSTRUP or even put a WAIT in it.

Dan

rob@xxxxxxxxx
01/17/2005 10:48 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: What starts printer writers?

I figured that out and, yes it is set for online *yes

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Bryon Cook" <bryonc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
01/17/2005 11:39 AM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: What starts printer writers?

Sorry I left out part of this:

If you do a (WRKCFGSTS *DEV P01A01) on the 570 is it set for online at IPL
*YES?

Then take option 8, then option 5, page down until you see the online at
IPL
value.  You can change it by using option 2 instead of option 5.

Sorry for the confusion!