> From: Walden H. Leverich
>
> And what, exactly, do you consider EDTRBDAP? Or RCLSTG? And let's not
> forget MCH1604 (System object &1 damaged.) Followed by STRSST.

I have NEVER used EDTRBDAP, not have any of my clients.  I only use
RCLSTG prior to OS upgrades.  I think I've seen it used twice at client
sites.  I have NEVER used STRSST for anything other than hardware
maintenance.

> Damage can occur on _ANY_ machine, I'd be afraid of a database server
> that did NOT come with a repair utility, I'd look at that and say,
"ok,
> if it becomes corrupt, I'm screwed"

See, that's what happens when people use desktop operating systems as
servers, especially BAD desktop operating systems.  You simply translate
"blue screen of death" to "corrupted database".  It's cool!  On the
other hand, the idea that "corruption occurs" is a pretty foreign
concept to most iSeries users.  There are people out there who haven't
IPL'd their machine in years, much less rebuilt the operating system.

Yes, the iSeries has utilities to repair the inevitable damage that
comes from (literally) cosmic rays.  It happens.  But the fact that most
people have no clue they exist, much less how to use them, says what
needs to be said about iSeries reliability.

You really don't want to get into the OS reliability fight, Walden.  You
can say whatever you want about tools.  You can try to ignore the fact
that Windows has more security holes than lines of code.  You can try to
say that .NET is somehow comparable to ILE.  But you simply can't with a
straight face say that Windows is anywhere near as reliable as OS/400.

Joe