> From: Walden H. Leverich
>
> As there are windows boxes, and unix boxes, and probably DOS boxes --
> heck you might find a CP/M box that hasn't been rebooted.

Does that mean they compare?  Of course not, and you know it.  You have
a politician's tendency to avoid the meat of a statement and dance on
the periphery.  I'll bet there's an Atari out there that hasn't been
booted in a while, but I'll be damned if I'll run my company on it.  Of
course, you consider Windows an enterprise server, so maybe you consider
Atari one as well.  It's actually probably a step up in security,
anyway...

Anyway, I am willing to wager that there isn't a Windows machine out
there doing mission-critical application serving that hasn't been
rebooted in three years.  There might be one doing some sort of file
serving or maybe acting as a DNS server or mail router, but not running
a real application.  Find one, Walden, JUST ONE, and I'll make a grand
public apology.

If you can't though, I think you might want to stop trying to compare
your beloved playtoy to a real OS.  You always say these fanciful
statements that are meant to compare Windows to OS/400, but the truth is
THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

Here's the deal: just for the fun of it, let's see you actually back up
one of your flights of whimsy.  Find a Windows machine doing non-trivial
work that hasn't been booted since, say, 2001.  Do that, and I'll
apologize.  Otherwise, we'll just assume that you're better at spin than
facts.

Joe

(Of course, if you find me a machine that hasn't been rebooted since
2001, that means it's so full of security holes that I wouldn't want it
near my network, but that's a different issue. <g>)