From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 10:07
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: I/O features not planned to be supported beyond V5R3

Were there higher capacity drives available for the 810?  Or was the 6718
the highest offered?  Sometimes by reducing the number of disk arms you
can improve performance.  We went from 42 drives to 7 and had a much
better performing machine.  Granted it was also a drop from a P30 tier
down to a P10 tier - an 820 down to a 520.
My point being, that staying with older drives for the believe that older
drives with more disk arms beats newer drives with less disk arms,
performance wise:
1- may not be true
2 - may get you in a bind like you are in now.
3 - may fill up your rack space, thus limiting your potential for growth
in the future.