- I don't see packed data as something terribly frustrating to end users.
All the data extraction tools convert it for them.  Heck, most users don't
care if it's just a bunch of zeros and ones on disk.  It's what they see
on their desktops that count.
- Not sure if the conversion from ebcdic to ascii is a big time waster.
I'll grant you that something slows down NetServer quite a bit.  Heck IXS
cards using the same disk drives on the same highly souped up iSeries is
faster than NetServer.
- I think the industry can understand the difference between a server, and
a client.  And you access the server via the client.  I am not so sure
that the server must have it's own native gui.
- Desktop OS/400?  OS/2 was supposedly better than Windows.  And IBM did
market that with large ads that NT stood for "Nice Try".  I am not sure
that the market is there to move to yet another desktop os.  People have
their choice of wintel, Mac and Linux, plus a few others.  But then again,
many shops were only looking at Linux for servers but are now considering
it on the desktops - so who knows?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Shields, Ken" <kenshields@xxxxxxx>
11/03/2004 08:34 AM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Revenues down in 3RD quarter.

Rebuttal:
                 - Packed decimal representation of data was an IBM
fondling, designed early in computing
                   history to save disk space...ps, have a terra byte...
                 - Character set code pages will always be required in
multi-lingual settings, I just don't see
                   a Country or Language called IBM...CCSID is the
mechanism
                 - We're not switching to Ascii when ftpying files, we're
converting data to Ascii (time loss)
                 - If you've gotten fond of the nice Gui of other clients,
I suspect one day there will be no OS400
                   How about a Midrange poll, on the suggestion of desktop
OS400?  Maybe David
                   can orchestrate it.I honestly think, most developers
would lov to have it on their desktops.
                 - As for C.A., it's simply a wonderful Gui, EBCDIC to
ASCII translation engine.

Sorry, but IBM keeps trying to make their own stream, but the fish are
just not coming.

E&OE
Ken Shields
PPG Canada Inc