From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 10/28/04 07:26:58
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Which state agencies use the as400 or iseries?

"For another Florida iSeries shop, the City of Orlando, powering down and
waiting out the storm is not an option.
The city runs eight iSeries and 130 Wintel systems, plus about 10 Unix
boxes. However, says Deputy CIO John Matelski,
"80 percent of our mission-critical applications like police, fire, and
computer-aided emergency dispatch run on the AS/400,
  which was selected for its stability and uptime.

One of the biggest difficulties for the city during Hurricane Charley was
not loss of computer power, but loss of cable TV.
"That's one of our main sources of getting information," Matelski points
out.
"We still kept our Internet access, but television is a significant
resource for our emergency managers,
and the mayor for conveying the correct information to the public."
To correct that problem, the city quickly installed a satellite dish before
Frances hit.

? Mary Lou Roberts, Industry Reporter, iSeries Network

*This article has been adapted from its original form online. For the full
story, see http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/nwn/story.cfm?ID=19223.