Hi Dan,

HP's Printer Control Language (PCL) is about 20 years
old. It started with levels I and II, which included a
very limited set of formatting commands for high speed
impact printers.

PCL level III was the first version of the language
with expanded formatting capabilities for laser
printers. Today there is a version of PCL 3 used by
quite a number of inkjet based printers.

The next three versions of PCL were levels 4, 5, and
5e. These versions continued to add more and more
functionality, while maintaining the general
architectural conventions of the previous levels.

Finally there was PCL level 6, which is also known as
PCL XL. This language is completely different from all
the versions, which preceded it. For this reason, many
of the MFP manufacturers provide both a PCL 5e and a
PCL 6 driver.

The example you posted was from the PCL 6 driver for
your Savin device.

Here is an example of choosing input tray 3 on the
Savin using its PCL 5e driver.

%-12345X@PJL JOB NAME="Document"
@PJL COMMENT RPJL,WIN2000,PCL5e,3.4.0.0,GRAYSCALE
@PJL SET TIME="15:51:10"
@PJL SET DATE="2004/10/22"
@PJL SET USERID="?"
@PJL SET SMOOTHING=ON
@PJL SET RESOLUTION=600
@PJL SET STAPLE=OFF
@PJL SET AUTOTRAYCHANGE=OFF
@PJL SET JOBOFFSET=OFF
@PJL SET PUNCH=OFF
@PJL SET ECONOMODE=OFF
@PJL SET FUSERCONTROL=PLAINPAPER
@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL
E*r0F&u600D%0BINWU0PW0,0PW0,1UL1,60,40UL2,12.5,12.5,12.5,12.5,12.5,12.5,12.5,12.5UL3,40,25,10,25UL4,35,15,10,15,10,15LT0,10,1LTLA1,4,2,1SP1TD1LO21TR0CF2%0A
&l1X&l4H&l8E&l2A&l0o6d1E&l0S*t600R*v1onT*pxY*c5761.2x7681.2yT
%0BSC0,1.693333,0,-1.693333,2IR0,100,0,100;%0A*v0n1O*l240O*l1R
%0BPE=<oÑgÎ;FT10,0IWRR3600,93%0A
(s1p0s0b16602t10.00V(s1p0s0b16602t10.00V
(5T*l252O*v0T*p600x575YThis is a
test.%0BSB;%0A%-12345X@PJL EOJ NAME="Document"
%-12345X

In PCL levels 3 through 5e, the input tray selection
command is ESC&l<some number>H. The third character is
a lower case L. In Wordpad the escape character can
appear as an arrow <-- or the box as it did in this
example. You will see "box"&l4H in the commands above,
which tell the Savin to select drawer three.

As you have found, the command format and numbering
scheme for selecting input trays using PCL 6 is
totally different from PCL levels 3-5e.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
E-mail: ptykodi@xxxxxxxxx

>date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:24:51 -0400
>from: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>subject: RE: Default to printer drawer 3 in WSCST
>requires rocket science
>
>I did another test, changing nothing else, I "printed
>to file" 4 times, changing only the drawer.  I ran a
>DOS FC command (with /b(inary) flag) on each of the
>files, and beyond the timestamp that changed between
>the four prints, the only change occurs for 1 byte,
at >offset x'00000200':