From: Brad Stone [mailto:brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 2:57 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: ISP blocking port 25, how to send mail from Iseries

Well, I know when I want to support it, I want as much info
as possible.  :)

I emailed you privatley on this, but in case anyone else
has similar problems, here is what I told Art.

With MAILROUTER set and FIREWALL set to *NO, then the mail router isn't
being used.  This means that the SMTP server will try and send mail directly
to the recipient.

I'm pretty sure your ISP blocks port 25 this way, so normal consumers can't
set up mail servers.  (corp accts are different).

But, if you use their mail router, then everything should
work fine.  So if you set FIREWALL to *YES, stop and
restart your SMTP server, things should work fine again as you'll be using
their specified mail router.

This may or may not be the case, but it is what I'm
assuming, and why you're seeing port 25 blocked.  It's not blocked on the
mail router you "thought" you were using, it's blocked from your connection
to the rest of the internet (which you didn't realize you were doing?)

Brad
www.bvstools.com

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:40:01 -0400
 "Art Tostaine, Jr." <atostaine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Brad:
>
> I used your MAILTOOL to test and it works fine too.
>  That's a mighty
> fine debug file you write out.  Everything I needed to
> see was there.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:20:21 -0400, Art Tostaine, Jr.
> <atostaine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My Mail router is mail1.optonline.net, firewall *NO.
> >
> > Art
> >

> > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:02:51 -0400, Carl Galgano
> > <cgalgano2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Art, how are your mail router and firewall settings
> set for CHGSMTPA?
> > >
> > > Carl J. Galgano
> > > EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
> > > 600 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 400
> > > Marietta, GA  30060
> > > (770) 422-2995 - voice
> > > (770) 425-8391 - fax
> > > mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.ediconsulting.com
> > > AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications
> Consulting and
> > > Implementation
> > > http://www.icecreamovernight.com
> > > Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight
> > >
> > > Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400
> Timesharing Service
> > >

> --
> Art Tostaine (GMAIL)
> CCA, Inc.