That would be a firewall rule, not relaying. If the mail server is responsible for the email for the account it is not being relayed it is being delivered. I can only think of a few reasons why you would have it go to your ISP then to your mail server, you have an ISP filter your email, they are a backup mail server (and yours is down, or spammers will send it to every MX record, and some to even A records), some security.

Most of the time relaying is setup the other way, you get your ISP to allow your mail server to relay off of them.

Since he can send emails to other domains, I still think the problem is the email is never leaving his AS400 because the AS400 thinks it should be handling email for that domain.

www.ERP400.com
www.Netshare400.com

wrote:
Generally, an inside mail server is set to only accept mail from the ISP(disallow relay). You may have to put your iSeries IP address in as an allowed 'relay' server.