To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09/04/2004 04:58PM
Subject: Re: screen scraping from scales

> We are in need of an application solution to "scrape" a weight from an
> electronic scale (Toledo) that is connected to a PC that is operating an
> interactive program on the 400 through Client Access.

I'm not a fan of "screen scraping" or "keyboard wedges".  I'm sure a lot
of people will give you information on those technologies, but I don't
like them.

Instead, what I recommend is to create an interface to get the weight
information back to your program that's designed for program-to-program
communications, rather than one that is designed for interfacing with a
human being.

It's common today for scales to have RS-232 interfaces.  With these
interfaces, when a weight is placed on a scale, the weight is sent
straight out that port.  That port can be connected to a PC or even to an
iSeries (if the scale is within 50 ft or so of the iSeries) and read
directly by a program.

Mettler/Toledo makes a scale interface called a "Jaguar."  This is a
programmable interface -- you can write programs that get loaded and run
ont he scale itself.  We use these devices in our system so that the
operator can input information about a package on our production lines and
a label will print with all of the relevant information, plus the
weight.

We've got a PC controlling the scales and sending data back & forth to the
iSeries over a TCP/IP network, since RS-232 directly to the iSeries
wouldn't work -- it's too far away.

However, if I redesigned it now, I could do it without the PC.  The new
model of the Jaguar, called the "JagXtreme" has the ability to connect to
a TCP/IP network, and the programming language for programming the scale
interface has a sockets interface!  So, I could have it communicate
directly with the iSeries over TCP/IP.

The point is...  with this type of setup, you'd be able to eliminate the
awkward and error-prone "screen scrape" and "keyboard wedge" type of
interface by communicating directly with the scale from your iSeries
application.  Use the keyboard for what it's designed for -- getting
information from a person.

> The user will enter some carton information that is headed for an
interface
> file that will produce records within UPS's Automated Shipment System.
The
> carton needs to be weighed and the results need to be "materialized" into
> pre-defined row/column co-ordinate within the 400 application so our
users
> do not have to key the data.

Our system is not designed for UPS.  We use it for our own labels,
barcoding, etc. for inventory control, batch tracking, and getting
accurate weights for billing the customer.

There's no reason, however, why the same type of system wouldn't also work
with UPS.