Gut says that sounds like a big waste of a $1,000 PDU.  Don't know squat
about that particular UPS but won't the PDU plug into the UPS?  What
little power the external DVD draws you might as well plug into the PDU.
After all, would you like a temporary power glitch to fry your OS upgrade
on your iSeries?

For most of our 520/570 stuff we use the $1,000 PDU's.  But the system
unit of our 520, HMC, tape drives, and some other devices are all plugged
into third party PDU's.

We have this honking big UPS for all pluggable equipment in the room.  And
a generator for the whole building.

(And now that we have this all wired, they want to play musical chairs and
move the department to the next building and sell off this building.
Optimist says "All right, we get to design a datacenter from scratch."
Anyone want to buy a data center?)

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Mark Phippard <MarkP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
08/18/2004 03:31 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: HMC Question

midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 08/18/2004 03:42:55 PM:

>   The PDU in the rack should also work with xSeries machines though if
> you get redundant power on the x boxes and only have one PDU you'll
> rapidly run out of plugs.  Each PDU only supports about 6 connections so

> 'do the math'.

Correct me if I am wrong.  Power comes from the wall into the PDU.  The
UPS (9910-P33) is connected to the PDU, and the iSeries and HMC are
connected to the UPS.  Stuff like the external DVD can be connected to the

PDU.

So here is my questions, for our 3 xSeries servers, does the UPS have
enough juice to take all of those, plus our iSeries and HMC or would we
want a second rack-mount UPS to power the xSeries servers?  In this
scenario, the PDU would seem to have enough plugs since it is really just
the UPS that is plugged into it.

Thanks

Mark