As far as the exits go and being able to set the identity that the job will
execute under, the FTP server is the most flexible.  The logon exit is
called prior the OS validating the supplied credentials.  I can't remember
but I think this is the case for TFPT and for REXEC.  Because of the need
for supporting the Anonymous user, the exit allows you to set the jobs
identity to your choosing.

For all of the host servers (Database, Data Queue, Remote Command...) your
signon is validated before the exit is called and they don't have a return
parameter to set the identity.  You can however do a swap.

NetServer falls into the host server category above but is more of a pain in
the rear end (I had to resend because the list bounced the email because I
used the A word) because the server does not own the socket is using to
communicate with.

For Telnet, the exit fires prior to the user ever being presented a screen
so you won't be able to prompt them for their secret.  You can't do a swap
because this exit is called from one of the Telnet jobs.

For telnet your best option is to either create a routing program or an
initial program that you can do your extra prompting in.  These are also the
only way to support what you want from a dumb terminal.  You do have some
other things that you have to control - System Request menu and Attention
menu access.