I recently had a need for a command to do the same thing and I found some code at one of the AS/400 sites to do it. Here's the source for my CL command processing program. The command is called CHKIFSOBJ and it simply passes a path name to the program. The program will check for the existence of both IFS directories and files, returning CPF9897 escape message if not found, very similar to CHKOBJ. My apologies for not crediting the author; I've lost the link to the site. Note that the source type is CLLE, not CLP.

I have a CL program that uses CHKDLO to determine the existence of a folder.
We are changing things around to use directories.  What would the equivalent
command be to check for the existence of a directory?  I assume we can't use
wrklnk, because that will actually display the screen.  Also, what would the
correct msgid be?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

 Columns . . . :    1  80                                      Browse
                                        QGPL/QCLSRC
 SEU==>
                                         CHKIFSOBJC
 FMT **  ...+... 1 ...+... 2 ...+... 3 ...+... 4 ...+... 5 ...+... 6 ...+... 7
...+... 8
        *************** Beginning of data

0001.00              PGM        PARM(&PARM) /* CPP for CHKIFSOBJ command.  +
             040707
0001.01                           Checks for the existence of an IFS +
             040707
0001.02                           file(s). Source type is CLLE, not CLP.  */
             040707
0002.00
             040707
0003.00               DCL        VAR(&PARM)      TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(256)
             040707
0004.00               DCL        VAR(&RTNVALINT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4)
             040707
0005.00               DCL        VAR(&RTNVAL)    TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
             040707
0006.00               DCL        VAR(&PATH)      TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(100)
             040707
0007.00               DCL        VAR(&BUF)       TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4096)
             040707
0007.01               DCL        VAR(&NULL)      TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1)
VALUE(X'00')             040707
0008.00
             040707
0009.00               CHGVAR     VAR(&PATH) VALUE(&PARM *TCAT &NULL)
             040707
0010.00
             040707
0011.00               CALLPRC    PRC('stat') PARM(&PATH &BUF) +
             040707
0012.00                            RTNVAL(%BIN(&RTNVALINT 1 4))
             040707
0013.00
             040707
0014.00               CHGVAR     VAR(&RTNVAL) VALUE(%BIN(&RTNVALINT))
             040707
0015.00
             040707
0016.00              IF         COND(&RTNVAL *NE '00') THEN(SNDPGMMSG +
             040707
0017.00                           MSGID(CPF9897) MSGF(QCPFMSG) +
             040707
0018.00                           MSGDTA('Object ' *BCAT &PARM *BCAT 'not +
             040707
0019.00                           found.') MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE))
             040707
0020.00              ENDPGM
             040707