. . . I went ahead and bought one of the Affirmative Yestation 2488
terminals that NCLC is selling on eBay, and it arrived yesterday. Although
I was somewhat disappointed that it could only be set up for 2 different
display addresses (I was under the impression that it could take 4), and
that its printer port couldn't talk to the parallel port on our copy
machine (evidently a copy machine deficiency, not a terminal deficiency),
and by the fact that it doesn't have as many zoom modes as a real IBM
348x, I was pleasantly surprised by the aesthetics: the display is quite
readable in both 80 and 132 column modes, and it DOES have true underline.

Incidentally, if you connect a mouse, and move the pointer to the status
line, the status line turns into an action bar, providing access to a
number of functions.

If you need a cheap, compact twinax device that (so far as I can
determine) is 100% compatible with KVM switches, go ahead and snap one of
these things up. I don't think you'll regret it.

--
JHHL