Jerry
I am  running  fine on XP/Pro with  356MB memory on a P4

When you download the base Java IBM wants should come with it.
"Download the <ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/as400/web/lpar/LVT4_0504_JRE_Build.exe>LVT Base tool (Version 4.0504), which includes the IBM JRE version 1.4.1. "
then you down load the update , find it in the directory, click on the update.EXE and it installs.

Clicking on HELP then About LPAR.... you should be on Version 4.0528 build 2004_221

Also from HELP you can go to the IBM LPAR home age directly for more details

        Glenn