Thank you, John, I am not the only one !

The *real* problem for me is, I am sorting my midrange-l mails
thread-wise because of the high volume of that list.
Like that I get a quick overview of the recent themes.
For people who don't know what is going on, here is what happens
when you just change the subject and don't create a new mail:
since this is still sorted under the original thread they become
"hidden" so you won't notice them, because for the sake of a better
overview, you can "flap" a thread in or out, so you only see the
first subject line starting that thread.
This way the other (changed) subjects are completely overlooked !
Woops, away are your valueable mails, out of sight, only because
you "reused" a thread's end for starting a mail to this list !

This goes hand in hand with Davids rule to keep to the subject.

Better do it the other way as John and I and others ask you.

Regards,
Philipp

John Ross schrieb:

So, *please*, do us a favour and make up new mail when changing subject.

Since this is a pet peeve of mine also I am throwing my 2 cents in also, and try to help explain what is happening for those who do not understand email all that well (The more I understand about why something is happening the better off I am). And think they sort by subject and it is fine, it is not the subject that is the problem. When a message gets created it gets an ID the one I am replying to has something like this in the header Message-ID: <40C1A767.1080408@xxxxxxxxxx> the one Scott replied to has someyhing like Message-ID: <40C1A590.50308@xxxxxxxxxx> but it also has something like References: <20040604131845.39041.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> In-Reply-To: <20040604131845.39041.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
You can see what this does to messages in the archives http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200406/threads.html And for the hijacked message http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200406/msg00144.html And for the new message http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200406/msg00180.html

What might help is a column with the mail to on this page http://www.midrange.com/archives.htm I use Mozilla Thunderbird ( http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ ) and it is easy to right click on the reply to address and start a new email (Compose mail to) but I did not see and easy way in outlook, other then copy and paste, or to put it in the address book So to answer Scotts question "Now the question is, will people listen?" Some will, most will not.

John Ross