<snip the facts>

| You can create an LF
| in a different library that does the record omission, and modify your
| library list and see if the existing programs blow up.

You can also DspFD *RcdFmt on two different sessions, flip back-and-forth a
couple times real-quick and can see-at-less-than-a-glance that the Format ID
hex number will be identical (or not) in both cases.

As Scott said, and afaik, the record format won't change unless the I/O
buffer changes.  So column header, text, Slt/Omit, sort-order, etc. changes
won't change the level-check ID, on either Physical/Logical/Screen/Print
files.  I'm not positive about sort order, though (and wish it WOULD level
check, but Usually compile/runtime errors will occur to make it obvious).

For wish list: I wish DDS level-check calculation had same *PREVIOUS
binder-source facility that ILE programs had, so fields could be added at
end (as they ALWAYS should be), WithOut causing a level check in a pgm that
doesn't need the new fields.  A colleague (sp?) and I were considering
possible advantages of implementing ALL I/O through ILE modules, for this
reason.