You could certainly use FTP. If the need was more immediate, you could
write socket programs on both sides that communicated constantly. You
could also implement a middleware product like WebSphere MQ. I'd make the
decision based on the amount of data, the frequency of the data, and the
urgency of the data. I've implemented all three types of the scenarios I
outlined - one is not better than the other, but one may be more
appropriate depending on your needs. But...bottom line...data transfer
and synchonization between a *NIX system and an iSeries is certainly
doable.