Ask and you shall receive! (I know you asked Larry, but here goes.)

/* Create SAVF */
crtsavf vern/addsavfs
File ADDSAVFS created in library VERN.

/* Save using SAVOBJ */
SAVOBJ OBJ(ADDSAVFS) LIB(VERN) DEV(*SAVF) OBJTYPE(*PGM) SAVF(VERN/ADDSAVFS)
1 objects saved from library VERN.

/* Attempt restore with RST - failed */
RST DEV('/qsys.lib/vern.lib/addsavfs.file')
Objects from save file ADDSAVFS in VERN not restored.
Specified file for restore operation not found.

/* Save using SAV - to test whether type of save operation matters */
SAV DEV('/qsys.lib/vern.lib/addsavfs.file') OBJ(('/qsys.lib/vern.lib/addsavfs.pgm'))
Save file ADDSAVFS in VERN already contains data. (C G)
1 objects saved from library VERN.
/* DSPSAVF shows save command was SAVOBJ */

/* Attempted restore again fails */
RST DEV('/qsys.lib/vern.lib/addsavfs.file')
Objects from save file ADDSAVFS in VERN not restored.
Specified file for restore operation not found.

/* Saved again with SAVOBJ */
SAVOBJ OBJ(ADDSAVFS) LIB(VERN) DEV(*SAVF) OBJTYPE(*PGM) SAVF(VERN/ADDSAVFS)
Save file ADDSAVFS in VERN already contains data. (C G)
1 objects saved from library VERN.

/* Tried restore with full path to objject - worked! */
/* So type of save operation is irrelevant to RST */
RST DEV('/qsys.lib/vern.lib/addsavfs.file') OBJ(('/qsys.lib/vern.lib/*.*'))
1 objects restored from VERN to VERN.

/* Changed current directory as per list discussion */
CHGCURDIR DIR('/qsys.lib/vern.lib')
Current directory changed.

/* Tried restore again without path spec - worked again! */